You can use substitution to make your writing more cohesive. This will improve your band score for Coherence and Cohesion.
Read the two sentences below. The sentences are similar but different.
- Many people today are having children later in life or not doing so at all.
- Many people today are having children later in life or not having children at all.
- When I quote others, I quote in order to express my own ideas more clearly.
- When I quote others, I do so in order to express my own ideas more clearly.
- When substituting a verb, the auxiliary do is used.
- The correct form of do must be used. This is what you are likely to make errors with. Think about the tense of the sentence that you are writing.
- Often do is used with so.
- In order to do so – to is always followed by an infinitive
- By doing so – by is always followed by an ing-form